JAMS: Alternative to Cron Job Scheduling
Cron is a job scheduling utility built in to the UNIX and Linux operating systems. With its notoriously cryptic syntax, Crontabs can be difficult to maintain. But with job scheduling software, you can centralize the management of Linux and UNIX batch processes in a single, easy-to-use interface. And comprehensive scheduling and automation features can lower the costs of service delivery, even when organizations employ a diverse mix of Linux and UNIX distros.
Why Use Cron with Job Scheduling Software?
Cron job scheduling is widespread because it comes built-in to UNIX servers and provides a free way to begin automating some tasks. But limitations to crontab scheduling make it a less-than-ideal choice for enterprise job scheduling because:
- Cron job scheduling is not robust enough to support enterprise-level processes across multiple platforms or applications.
- Manually building and editing crontabs is extremely error-prone
- Cron job scheduling lacks immediate error reporting
- Different UNIX implementations have subtle variations, so if your data center includes AIX, Linux, UNIX, and Solaris boxes—all with their own version of crontab scheduling—it becomes even more difficult to manage crontab scheduling across the enterprise
Organizations that leverage workload automation with Linux and UNIX platforms and applications gain advantages such as:
- Reduced Security Risk – A central command center eliminates unnecessary administrative logins.
- Rapid Automation – A unified language for automation means less time and money spent on single-purpose scheduling tools.
- Shorter Resolution Times – Even with jobs running across hundreds of Linux and UNIX servers, JAMS users can pinpoint issues at their source and resolve them quickly.
Convert Cron Jobs Effortlessly with Job Scheduling From JAMS
JAMS job scheduling software includes a built-in conversion utility to migrate crontabs, including all their properties. Import jobs residing on any Linux or UNIX server throughout your network. Once converted – a process that takes minutes – you can apply dozens of new properties to schedule and trigger jobs according to the unique requirements of your business.
Build Linux and UNIX Processes Into Enterprise Workflows
JAMS helps enterprises get the most out of technology investments, even when individual IT teams and business units employ a variety of distros and platforms for their critical processes. JAMS supports all available distros and makes Linux and UNIX batch processes accessible to powerful, multi-step workflows that can include jobs on Windows, i Series, z/OS as well as business applications.
Windows cron job software organizes your difficult to maintain UNIX crontab jobs across your Windows, UNIX, and Linux systems. With JAMS, you can quickly and easily schedule UNIX cron jobs that are event-driven for coordinated batch processing, cross-system monitoring, and enterprise job scheduling. Replace cron with JAMS for a dynamic, yet affordable solution to your UNIX job scheduling needs.
Benefits of JAMS Over a Cron Job Scheduler:
- Create complex, customizable, event-driven scheduling
- Oversee user privilege control with role-based security
- Monitor history, auditing, and create built-in notifications
- Access your job management information from one central console
- Control cron jobs on enterprise servers from work or home